We are proud to announce that KL Engineering received an ACEC 2020 State Finalist Award for the Wisconsin Statewide LED Retrofit Implementation Plan we completed for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).
The plan proposes to increase LED lighting from 24% to 75% of WisDOT lighting across the state of Wisconsin. By upgrading approximately 16,000 roadway lighting fixtures to a modern LED standard, the following benefits will be realized:
- 7,349,504 kilowatt hours in annual energy reductions
- 52% reduction in energy usage resulting in $918,700 annual savings
- $328,900 annual savings from decreased maintenance
- $954,000 in savings from luminaire contract re-bidding based on updated
- $486,200 in eligible rebates from a Focus on Energy program
This $6.2 million project is expected to pay for itself in less than six years. Another $2.5 million program of LED retrofit funding is currently being planned for 2020 improvements and will focus on retrofitting LEDs in several tunnels in WisDOT Northwest and Southeast Regions.
ACEC State Finalist Awards recognize achievements in engineering that demonstrate a high degree of client satisfaction through quality, cost-effective solutions.
We congratulate all 2020 ACEC Award Winners and salute WisDOT for helping Wisconsin conserve energy one lightbulb at a time!