Traffic Engineer – Transportation Design
Madison Office Location
KL Engineering is seeking an experienced traffic engineer in our Madison office. Candidates who are interested in working out of our Green Bay, Menomonie, or Germantown office or within a remote working accommodation may be considered and are encouraged to apply.
KL Engineering, Inc., is an award-winning Wisconsin based consulting engineering firm. We provide our clients with a full range of services that include transportation engineering, planning and design; structural engineering, traffic engineering, site design, parks/trails/recreation design, municipal and utility design, environmental studies; surveying/GIS; construction management; and more. We are committed to offering [A] Better Experience to both our coworkers and clients through innovation and collaboration to create transportation engineering infrastructure solutions that benefit the public. With unwavering customer service, before we build transportation related infrastructure, we build relationships.
The successful candidate will seek to be part of a team of professionals who are invested and excited about the opportunity to work on a variety of infrastructure projects and initiatives that improve mobility, accessibility, sustainability, and safety. At KL Engineering, we work on diverse and challenging projects within a team of talented and experienced engineers in an inclusive, collaborative, and flexible work environment. Our focus is to provide employees meaningful work and involvement enabling them to learn, grow, and thrive personally and professionally. Our shared values of integrity, dependability, excellence, work-life balance, diversity, and commitment to our clients and each other is the foundation of our continued success.
This position is an exciting opportunity for a mid-career engineer to join a growing traffic engineering team and develop their career. KL Engineering completes a wide variety of project types for a diverse mix of private and public clients. The successful applicant will complete technical assignments for a variety of projects while leading and mentoring staff engineers. Client and project management responsibilities will be assigned based on previous experience with opportunity for growth.
- Work under direction of a project manager or principal to complete traffic engineering studies and prepare written reports and presentations of project findings. Study types include:
- Corridor Planning Studies
- Multi-modal Transportation Improvement Plans
- Traffic Impact Analyses (TIAs)
- WisDOT Design Reports
- Safety Studies
- Work under direction of a project manager to complete traffic signal, roadway lighting, and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) design.
- Research and problem solve design or construction related concerns found in the field.
- Work with clients and professional counterparts to ensure projects are delivered on-time and within budget, while meeting and/or exceeding client expectations.
- Assist in monitoring project schedules and activities.
- Perform analytical and investigative tasks including traffic operations modeling, formal traffic safety analysis, review of reference materials and manuals, and identification of operations improvement alternatives and safety improvement countermeasures.
- Plan traffic and safety data collection efforts and oversee staff and equipment during implementation of data collection plans.
- Engage in training and mentoring activities with staff engineers.
- Perform field reviews of project study locations.
- Prepare summary materials in written and graphical formats.
- Opportunities for project management based on experience and continued professional growth
- More experienced candidates would have the opportunity to lead teams, manage projects, and mentor others.
- Successful candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field.
- 3-8+ years of traffic engineering experience.
- Registration as a professional engineer in the state of Wisconsin or the ability to become registered within one year. PTOE or RSP certification preferred.
- Extensive experience with traffic engineering analysis and design software including HCS, Synchro, AutoCAD Civil3D and Sidra. VISSIM and IHSDM experience strongly preferred.
- Good data interpretation and technical writing skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and time management skills, with high level of attention to detail and self-motivated to be successful.
- Ability to identify and establish work priorities while balancing multiple projects.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative team environment, communicate (virtually and in-person) with clients and colleagues, both verbally and in writing.
- Previous experience on transportation projects (WisDOT experience a plus).
- This position requires you to have authorization to work in the United States for any employer. We will not provide sponsorship for this position.
In addition to career growth potential, we offer an excellent salary and full benefits within a teamwork oriented and casual working environment.
Current benefits include:
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Flexible Core Hours Schedule
- Hybrid Work Schedule Options
- Professional Development & Tuition Reimbursement
- Corporate Casual Dress
- Medical Insurance
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long & Short Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings & Profit-Sharing Plan
- Section 125 Flexible Spending Plans
Please submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out what [A] Better Experience is all about!
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Women, veterans, people with disabilities & minorities are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, age, gender, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran/military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws or regulations.
KL Engineering, Inc. | 5400 King James Way #200 | Madison, WI 53719
email@example.com | Phone: 608.663.1218 | Toll Free: 800.810.4012