|Type:||Site Design & Survey|
|Client:||Stone Mill Construction|
|KL’s Role:||Prime Consultant|
|Location:||Village of West Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|Design Complete:||November 2018|
|Construction Complete:||Fall 2019|
- Certified Survey Map (CSM)
- Topographic Survey
- Geometric Layout
- Erosion Control
- Utility Coordination
- Documentation for Acquiring Permits
- Construction Stake-out
Site Design & Survey
KL Engineering completed the site design and survey for development of a new 8,000 square foot warehouse / manufacturing building on the west side of Milwaukee metropolitan area in the Village of West Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Pelican Industries plastic injection molding manufacturing company and has been in business for over 40 years. The building expands and supports their current adjacent facilities. It was vital to the design that the finished floor elevation matched that of the adjacent building so that forklifts could move between the buildings. The building site was initially comprised of 3 lots that were covered with grass and had buildings located on both sides. The new structure was designed to connect to the adjacent buildings via two enclosed access ways. One depressed truck dock and a vehicle drive-in door were also proposed as part of the new structure. Approximately 30% of the site will remain as green space.
Project challenges included:
- Skillful geometric layout to match the building to the two adjacent buildings.
- The grading plan required proposed spot grades to match into existing adjacent sidewalk and street grades, while providing a finished floor elevation that matched the adjacent existing buildings.
- Site drainage of the depressed truck loading dock required connecting to existing storm sewer in the street to avoid requiring a pump system.
KL Engineering performed the following tasks:
- Certified Survey Map (CSM) to combine the three existing lots into one lot to allow for the construction of the building.
- Topographical and utility survey of the proposed site.
- Preparation of a site plan for a warehouse / manufacturing building, parking lot, depressed truck dock, vehicle drive-in door, and driveway connections.
- Design tasks included grading, utility, and erosion control plans.
- Coordination with the Village of West Milwaukee for completion and approval of the site plan and permits.
- Construction stake-out of the building.
- Coordination with the design-build architect and owner was important to orient the building on the site to best match the adjacent structures and roadway.
KL Engineering was proud to assist a local company with an established history with growing and expanding their business. One of the nice biproducts of our site design services is to work with various companies and learn about their services they provide and their stories of success.